Saint Croix County, Wisconsin Facts
Saint Croix County was founded on January 9, 1840 from Crawford County. The county was named after an early French explorer named St. Croix, about whom little is known .
The Saint Croix County Seat can be found in Sheboygan and the county government website is www.co.saint-croix.wi.us/
Bordering Counties in Saint Croix County include Polk County (north), Barron County (northeast), Dunn County (east), Pierce County (south), Washington County, Minnesota (west).
Populated Places in Saint Croix County are Cities which consist of Glenwood City, Hudson, New Richmond, River Falls; Towns consist of Baldwin, Cady, Cylon, Eau Galle, Emerald, Erin Prairie, Forest, Glenwood, Hammond, Hudson, Kinnickinnic, Pleasant Valley, Richmond, Rush River, Somerset, Springfield, St. Joseph, Stanton, Star Prairie, Troy, Warren; Villages consist of Baldwin, Deer Park, Hammond, North Hudson, Roberts, Somerset, Spring Valley, Star Prairie, Wilson, Woodville.
Saint Croix County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1840 (as Wisconsin Territory), 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Saint Croix Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Saint Croix Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Saint Croix Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Saint Croix County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Saint Croix County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - River Falls, Chalmer Davee Library, University of Wisconsin-River Falls, 120 Cascade Avenue, River Falls, WI 54022; Phone: 715/425-3567
- New Richmond Heritage Center, 1100 Heritage Dr, New Richmond, WI 54017; Phone: 715-246-3276
- St Croix County Historical Society, 1104 Third Street, Hudson, WI 54016; Phone: 715-386-2654
- Saint Croix County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Saint Croix County
- Saint Croix County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Saint Croix County
- USGenWeb Archives for Saint Croix County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Saint Croix County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Saint Croix County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Saint Croix County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Saint Croix county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. Some records. 1840-49 at Washington County Historical Society, Stillwater, Minnesota.
- Saint Croix County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1101 Carmichael Road, Hudson, WI 54016; Phone: 715.386.4600
- County was attached to Crawford County for judicial purposes from 1843–49 . Some early records may be found there.
- Saint Croix County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-386-4652
- Birth Records: 1858
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Death Records: 1876
- Land Records: 1849
- Saint Croix County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 715-386-4618
- Probate Records: 1849
- Saint Croix County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 386-4630
- Court Records: 1850
- Saint Croix County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Saint Croix County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Saint Croix County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Saint Croix County genealogy or family history related sites.
Saint Croix Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Saint Croix Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Saint Croix Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Saint Croix Co. WI Census Records
Saint Croix Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Saint Croix Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Saint Croix Co. WI General and History Websites
Saint Croix Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Saint Croix Co. WI Military Records
- Wisconsin Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Wisconsin both women and men which served. Just the thing for Saint Croix County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.