Pepin County, Wisconsin Facts
Pepin County was founded on February 25, 1858 from Dunn County. The county was named in honor of Pierre and Jean Pepin du Chardonnets, explorers .
The Pepin County Seat can be found in Durand and the county government website is www.co.pepin.wi.us/
Bordering Counties in Pepin County include Pierce County (northwest), Dunn County (north), Eau Claire County (east), Buffalo County (south), Wabasha County, Minnesota (southwest), Goodhue County, Minnesota (west).
Populated Places in Pepin County are Cities which consist of Durand; Towns consist of Albany, Durand, Frankfort, Lima, Pepin, Stockholm, Waterville, Waubeek; Villages consist of Pepin, Stockholm.
Pepin County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Pepin Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pepin Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pepin Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Pepin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Pepin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Stout, Library Learning Center, University of Wisconsin-Stout, Menomonie, WI 54751; Phone: 715/232-2300.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society, PO Box 269, Pepin, WI 54759; Phone: 715-442-2248
- Pepin County Historical Society, 1150 11th Ave E, Durand, WI 54736; Phone: 715-672-5423
- Pepin County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pepin County
- Pepin County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pepin County
- USGenWeb Archives for Pepin County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Pepin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Pepin County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Pepin County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pepin county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Pepin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 740 7th Avenue West, Durand, WI 54736; Phone: 715.672.8857
- Pepin County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-672-8856
- Birth Records: 1863
- Marriage Records: 1858
- Death Records: 1857
- Land Records: 1855
- Pepin County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 715-672-8859
- Probate Records: 1856
- Pepin County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 672-8861
- Court Records: 1858
- Pepin County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Pepin County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Pepin County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Pepin County genealogy or family history related sites.
Pepin Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pepin Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pepin Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pepin Co. WI Census Records
Pepin Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Pepin Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pepin Co. WI General and History Websites
Pepin Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pepin Co. WI Military Records
- Wisconsin Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Wisconsin both women and men which served. Just the thing for Pepin County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.