Menominee County, Wisconsin Facts
Menominee County was founded on May 1, 1961 from Oconto County and Shawano County. The county was named for the Menominee nation of Native Americans .
The Menominee County Seat can be found in Keshena and the county government website is www.co.menominee.wi.us/
Bordering Counties in Menominee County include Oconto County (east), Shawano County (south), Langlade County (northwest).
Populated Places in Menominee County are Towns which include Menominee.
Menominee County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Menominee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, Cofrin Library, 7th floor, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, 2420 Nicolet Drive, Green Bay, WI 54311-7001; Phone: 920/465-2539
- Menominee County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Menominee County
- Menominee County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Menominee County
- USGenWeb Archives for Menominee County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Menominee County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Menominee County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Menominee County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Menominee county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Menominee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: W3269 Courthouse Lane, Keshena, WI 54135-0279; Phone: 715.799.3311
- Menominee County was attached to Shawano County for judicial and some county purposes. Some early records may be found there.
- Menominee County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-799-3312
- Birth Records: 1961
- Marriage Records: 1961
- Death Records: 1961
- Land Records: 1961
- Menominee County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Address: 2008311 N. Main Street, Shawano, WI 54166
- Phone: 715-526-8631
- Probate Records: 1961
- Menominee County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 799-3313
- Court Records: 1961
- Menominee County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Menominee County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Menominee County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Menominee County genealogy or family history related sites.
Menominee Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Menominee Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Menominee Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Menominee Co. WI Census Records
Menominee Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Menominee Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Menominee Co. WI General and History Websites
Menominee Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Menominee Co. WI Military Records
- Wisconsin Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Wisconsin both women and men which served. Just the thing for Menominee County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.