Marathon County, Wisconsin Facts
Marathon County was founded on February 9, 1850 from Portage County. The county was named for Marathon, Greece.
The Marathon County Seat can be found in Wausau and the county government website is http://www.co.marathon.wi.us/
Bordering Counties in Marathon County include Lincoln County (north), Langlade County (northeast), Shawano County (east), Waupaca County (southeast), Portage County (south), Wood County (south), Clark County (west), Taylor County (northwest).
Populated Places in Marathon County are Cities which consist of Abbotsford, Colby, Marshfield, Mosinee, Schofield, Wausau; Towns consist of Bergen, Berlin, Bern, Bevent, Brighton, Cassel, Cleveland, Day, Easton, Eau Pleine, Elderon, Emmet, Frankfort, Franzen, Green Valley, Guenther, Halsey, Hamburg, Harrison, Hewitt, Holton, Hull, Johnson, Knowlton, Maine, Marathon, McMillan, Mosinee, Norrie, Plover, Reid, Rib Falls, Rib Mountain, Rietbrock, Ringle, Spencer, Stettin, Texas, Wausau, Weston, Wien; Villages consist of Athens, Birnamwood, Brokaw, Dorchester, Edgar, Elderon, Fenwood, Hatley, Kronenwetter, Marathon City, Rothschild, Spencer, Stratford, Unity, Weston.
Marathon County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Marathon Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marathon Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marathon Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Marathon County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Marathon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marathon County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1512, Wausau, WI 54402-1512
- Marathon County Historical Society, 504 McIndoe St, Wausau, WI 54403; Phone: 715-848-6143
- Stratford Area Historical Society, PO Box 205, Stratford, WI 54484; Phone: 715-687-5881
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, James H. Albertson Library, Stevens Point, WI 54481; Phone: 715/346-2586
- Marathon County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marathon County
- Marathon County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marathon County
- USGenWeb Archives for Marathon County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Marathon County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Marathon County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Marathon County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marathon county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Marathon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 500 Forest Street, Wausau, WI 54403-5568; Phone: 715.261.1000
- Marathon County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-261-1470
- Birth Records: 1870
- Marriage Records: 1861
- Death Records: 1868
- Land Records: 1841
- Marathon County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 715-261-1261
- Probate Records: 1851
- Marathon County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 261-1300
- Court Records: 1849
- Marathon County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Marathon County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Marathon County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Marathon County genealogy or family history related sites.
Marathon Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marathon Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marathon Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marathon Co. WI Census Records
Marathon Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Marathon Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marathon Co. WI General and History Websites
Marathon Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marathon Co. WI Military Records
- Wisconsin Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Wisconsin both women and men which served. Just the thing for Marathon County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.