Lincoln County, Wisconsin Facts
Lincoln County was founded on March 4, 1874 from Marathon County. The county was named in honor of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), President of the United States 1861-1865 .
The Lincoln County Seat can be found in Merrill and the county government website is www.co.lincoln.wi.us/
Bordering Counties in Lincoln County include Oneida County (north), Langlade County (east), Marathon County (south), Taylor County (west), Price County (northwest).
Populated Places in Lincoln County are Cities which consist of Merrill, Tomahawk; Towns consist of Birch, Bradley, Corning, Harding, Harrison, King, Merrill, Pine River, Rock Falls, Russell, Schley, Scott, Skanawan, Somo, Tomahawk, Wilson.
Lincoln County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Lincoln Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Lincoln Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1880. Lincoln Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lincoln County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Merrill Historical Society, 804 E 3rd St, Merrill, WI 54452; Phone: 715-536-6606
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, James H. Albertson Library, Stevens Point, WI 54481; Phone: 715/346-2586
- Lincoln County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lincoln County
- Lincoln County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lincoln County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lincoln County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Lincoln County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Lincoln County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Lincoln County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lincoln county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Lincoln County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1110 East Main Street, Merrill, WI 54452; Phone: 715.536.0312
- County was attached to Marathon County for judicial purposes from 1874–75. Some early records may be found there.
- Lincoln County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-536-0318
- Birth Records: 1875
- Marriage Records: 1875
- Death Records: 1871
- Land Records: 1867
- Lincoln County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 715-536-0342
- Probate Records: 1883
- Lincoln County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 536-0319
- Court Records: 1885
- Lincoln County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Lincoln County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Lincoln County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Lincoln County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lincoln Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lincoln Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lincoln Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lincoln Co. WI Census Records
Lincoln Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Lincoln Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lincoln Co. WI General and History Websites
Lincoln Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lincoln Co. WI Military Records
- Wisconsin Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Wisconsin both women and men which served. Just the thing for Lincoln County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.