Iron County, Wisconsin Facts
Iron County was founded on March 1, 1893 from Ashland County. The county was named for the local iron deposits .
The Iron County Seat can be found in Hurley and the county government website is www.co.iron.wi.gov/
Bordering Counties in Iron County include Vilas County (east, southeast), Price County (southwest), Ashland County (west), Gogebic County, Michigan (northeast).
Populated Places in Iron County are Cities which consist of Hurley, Montreal; Towns consist of Anderson, Carey, Gurney, Kimball, Knight, Mercer, Oma, Pence, Saxon, Sherman.
Iron County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Iron County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Iron County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iron County Historical Society & Museum, 303 Iron Street, Hurley, WI 54534; 715-561-2244
- Mercer Area Historical Society, PO Box 638, Mercer, WI 54547; Phone: 715-561-2922
- Area Research Center - Wisconsin Historical Society History Center and Archives , 29270 County Highway G, Ashland, WI 54806-9339; Phone: (715) 685-2647
- Iron County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Iron County
- Iron County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Iron County
- USGenWeb Archives for Iron County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Iron County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Iron County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Iron County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Iron county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Iron County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 300 Taconite Street, Hurley, WI 54534; Phone: 715.561.3375
- Iron County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-561-2945
- Birth Records: 1886
- Marriage Records: 1893
- Death Records: 1887
- Land Records: 1886
- Iron County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 715-561-3434
- Probate Records: 1893
- Iron County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 561-4084
- Court Records: 1893
- Iron County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Iron County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Iron County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Iron County genealogy or family history related sites.
Iron Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Iron Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Iron Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Iron Co. WI Census Records
Iron Co. WI Church & Cemeteries
Iron Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Iron Co. WI General and History Websites
Iron Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Iron Co. WI Military Records
- Wisconsin Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Wisconsin both women and men which served. Just the thing for Iron County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.