Preston County, West Virginia Facts
Preston County was established on January 19, 1818 from Monongalia County. The county was named in honor of James Patton Preston (1774-1843), Governor of Virginia.
The County Seat is located in Kingwood and the county government website is http://www.prestoncountywv.org/
Areas adjacent to Preston County are Fayette County, Pennsylvania (north), Garrett County, Maryland (east), Grant County (southeast), Tucker County (south), Barbour County (southwest), Taylor County (west), Monongalia County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in the county include Horse Shoe Run, Howesville, Independence, Israel, Little Sandy, Manheim, Manown, Marquess, Mount Olivet, Mount Vernon, Orr, Pisgah, Pleasantdale, Preston, Rockville, Rodemer, Rohr, Ruthbelle, Saint Joe, Scotch Hill, Sell, Silver Lake, Sinclair, Snider, Stevensburg, Sugar Valley, Threefork Bridge, Turner Douglass, Valley Point, Victoria, West End, White Oak Springs, Zevely, Bruceton Mills, Reedsville, Newburg, Kingwood, Masontown, Rowlesburg, Terra Alta, Albright, Tunnelton, Brandonville , Afton, Alpine Lake, Amboy, Arthurdale, Aurora, Austen, Borgman, Bretz, Cascade, Clifton Mills, Corinth, Cuzzart, Denver, Evansville, Fellowsville, Eglon, Gladefarms, Hazelton, Hopemont, Hopewell
Preston County consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Preston Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Preston Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Preston Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Preston County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Preston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Preston County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the benefits of Preston County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Buried away in West Virginia courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many West Virginia residents.
The chances are excellent that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Preston County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which often can have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars just before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will aid men and women in locating the resources, but it is up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The below information denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and legal records can be found in Preston County. The years pointed out below could be the first known documents for this particular county. Lost all Deaths, Marriages, Wills and Deed records before 1869 in a courthouse fire in 1869.
- Preston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 W Main St, Kingwood, WV 26537
- Preston County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Phone: (304) 329-0070
- Birth / Death Records: 1868
- Marriage Records: 1869
- Land Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1869
- Preston County Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
- Phone: (304) 329-0047
- Court Records: 1881
- West Virginia Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Preston County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Preston County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Preston County genealogy or family history related sites.
Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records
for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
Preston Co. WV Books, Newspapers & Publications
Preston Co. WV Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Preston Co. WV Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Preston Co. WV Census Records
Preston Co. WV Church & Cemeteries
Preston Co. WV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Preston Co. WV General and History Websites
Preston Co. WV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Preston Co. WV Military Records
- West Virginia Military Records (fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the West Virginia women and men which served. Ideal for Preston County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.