Jefferson County, West Virginia Facts
Jefferson County was established on January 8, 1801 from Berkeley County. The county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), U.S. President (1801–1809).
The County Seat is located in Charles Town and the county government website is http://www.jeffersoncountywv.org/
Areas adjacent to Jefferson County are Washington County, Maryland (north), Loudoun County, Virginia (east), Clarke County, Virginia (southwest), Berkeley County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in the county include Bakerton, Bolivar, Charles Town, Corporation of Ranson, Forrester Center, Halltown, Harpers Ferry, Kearneysville, Middleway, Millville, Ranson, Rippon, Shenandoah Junction, Shepherdstown, Summit Point
Jefferson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Jefferson County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Old Charles Town Library, 200 East Washington Street, Charles Town, WV 25414; Phone: (304) 725-2208
- Jefferson County Historical Society, PO Box 485, Charles Town, WV 25414
- Harpers Ferry Historical Association and Bookshop, Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, Shenandoah Street, PO Box 197, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425; Phone (304) 535-6881
- Historic Shepherdstown Commission, Historic Shepherdstown Museum, Entler Hotel, Room 200, PO Box 1786, Shepherdstown, WV 25443, Phone (304) 876-0910
- Jefferson County Black History Preservation Society, P. O. Box 569, Ranson, WV 25438
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jefferson County (usgwarchives.net)
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the benefits of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Buried away in West Virginia courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many West Virginia residents.
The chances are excellent that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which often can have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars just before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will aid men and women in locating the resources, but it is up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The below information denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and legal records can be found in Jefferson County. The years pointed out below could be the first known documents for this particular county. Courthouse had a Fire in 1803, but records still exit from 1801 on.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 110 E Washington St, Charles Town, WV 25414
- Jefferson County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Phone: (304)728-3215
- Birth / Death Records: 1853
- Marriage Records: 1801
- Land Records: 1801
- Probate Records: 1801
- Jefferson County Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
- Phone: 304.728.3231
- Court Records: 1801
- West Virginia Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Jefferson County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Jefferson County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Jefferson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records
for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
Jefferson Co. WV Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. WV Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. WV Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. WV Census Records
Jefferson Co. WV Church & Cemeteries
Jefferson Co. WV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. WV General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. WV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. WV Military Records
- West Virginia Military Records (fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the West Virginia women and men which served. Ideal for Jefferson County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.