Cabell County, West Virginia Facts
Cabell County was established on January 2, 1809 from Kanawha County. The county was named in honor of William H. Cabell (1772-1853), who served as Governor of Virginia from 1805 to 1808.
The County Seat is located in Huntington and the county government website is http://www.cabellcounty.org/
Areas adjacent to Cabell County are Mason County (northeast), Putnam County (east), Lincoln County (southeast), Wayne County (southwest), Lawrence County, Ohio (west), Gallia County, Ohio (north).
Cities and towns located in the county include Culloden, Lesage, Ona, Pea Ridge, Salt Rock, Milton, Huntington, Barboursville
Cabell County consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Cabell Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cabell Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cabell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Cabell County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Cabell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- KYOWVA Genealogical and Historical Society, PO Box 1254, Huntington, WV 25714-1254
- Cabell-Wayne Historical Society, 630 1/2 - 7th Avenue, Huntington, WV 25701
- Carter G. Woodson Memorial Foundation, Inc., P. O. Box 5483, Huntington, WV 25703
- Cabell County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cabell County
- Cabell County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cabell County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cabell County (usgwarchives.net)
Cabell County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the benefits of Cabell County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Buried away in West Virginia courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many West Virginia residents.
The chances are excellent that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Cabell County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which often can have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars just before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will aid men and women in locating the resources, but it is up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The below information denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and legal records can be found in Cabell County. The years pointed out below could be the first known documents for this particular county. Some records have been damaged by flood water and are not very legible. Transcripts of many of these records are available as an aid in deciphering them.
- Cabell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 750 5th Ave, Huntington, WV 25701
- Cabell County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Phone: 304-526-8625
- Birth / Death Records: 1853
- Marriage Records: 1809
- Land Records: 1809
- Probate Records: 1809
- Cabell County Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
- Phone: 526-8622
- Court Records: 1809
- West Virginia Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Cabell County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Cabell County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Cabell County genealogy or family history related sites.
Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records
for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
Cabell Co. WV Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cabell Co. WV Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cabell Co. WV Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cabell Co. WV Census Records
Cabell Co. WV Church & Cemeteries
Cabell Co. WV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cabell Co. WV General and History Websites
Cabell Co. WV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cabell Co. WV Military Records
- West Virginia Military Records (fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the West Virginia women and men which served. Ideal for Cabell County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.