Skamania County, Alabama Facts
Skamania County was founded on March 9, 1854 from Clark County. The county was abolished by the Legislature on January 14, 1865. The county was divided into Clark County and Klickitat County. One year later, January 31, 1867, the abolition was revoked and Skamania County was re-established. The county was namedfor a Chinookan word meaning "swift water".
The Skamania County Seat is situated in Stevenson and the county government website is http://www.skamaniacounty.org/
Locations bordering Skamania County are Lewis County (north), Yakima County (northeast), Klickitat County (east), Hood River County, Oregon (south), Multnomah County, Oregon (southwest), Clark County (west), Cowlitz County (west).
Cities and towns found in Skamania County consists of North Bonneville, Stevenson.
The county is bisected north and south by the Cascade Mountains and contains Mount St. Helens, the most active volcano in the continental United States. The county is heavily forested and its economy depends primarily on logging and the wood products industry. Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River touches Skamania County and gave impetus to the county's economy. Fishing on the river has also provided a source of income to the county.
Skamania County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Skamania Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Skamania Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Skamania Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Skamania County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Skamania County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch. 1129 Washington Street SE, PO Box 40238, Olympia, WA 98504. Phone 360) 753-1684.
- Skamania County Historical Society, PO Box 396, Stevenson, WA 98648. Operates the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center. Their special collections include some vital, census and tax records, a photography collection, and an oral history collection.
- Fort Vancouver Regional Library, 1007 E Mill Plain Blvd, Vancouver (Clark County), WA 98663-3599.
- Skamania County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Skamania County
- Skamania County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Skamania County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Skamania County (usgwarchives.net)
Skamania County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Skamania County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Skamania County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in Skamania County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Skamania County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 240 NW Vancouver St, PO Box 790, Stevenson WA 98648-0790
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Skamania County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1892
- Land Records: 1854
- Skamania County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1854
- Skamania County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Skamania County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Skamania County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Skamania County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Skamania Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Skamania Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Skamania Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Skamania Co. WA Census Records
Skamania Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Skamania Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Skamania Co. WA General and History Websites
Skamania Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Skamania Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Skamania Co. WA Military Records
- Washington Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Washington women and men who served. Great for Skamania County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Skamania Co. WA Schools & Directories