San Juan County, Alabama Facts
San Juan County was founded on October 31, 1873 from Whatcom County. The county was named for San Juan Island.
The San Juan County Seat is situated in Friday Harbor and the county government website is http://www.co.san-juan.wa.us
Locations bordering San Juan County are Whatcom County (northeast), Skagit County (east), Island County (southeast), Jefferson County (south), Clallam County (southwest).
Cities and towns found in San Juan County consists of Friday Harbor.
The county’s most significant historical event was the dispute between Great Britain and the United State over the islands’ sovereignty known as “The Pig War.” The dispute was arbitrated by Germany and settled in favor of the United States. Today the primary economic pursuits in the county are produce farming and tourism.
San Juan County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. San Juan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1880. San Juan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1880. San Juan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
San Juan County Society and Family History Resources
A list of San Juan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch , Western Washington University, MS-9123 , 25th St and Bill McDonald Parkway. Phone: 1-360-650-7930. Hours: 8:30 – 4:30 Monday through Friday excluding state holidays
- San Juan Historical Society, PO Box 441, 405 Price St, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. Phone 360-378-3949 .
- Shaw Island Library & Historical Society, PO Box 844, Blind Bay Rd., Shaw Island, WA 98286-0844. Phone360-468-4068 .
- Lopez Island Historical Museum, PO Box 163, 28 Washburn Pl, Lopez Island, WA 98261. Phone 360-468-2049.
- Orcas Island Historical Museum, PO Box 134, 181 North Beach Rd, Eastsound, WA 98245. Phone 360-376-4849.
- San Juan Historical Museum, PO Box 441, 405 Price St, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. Phone 360-378-3949 .
- San Juan Washington Family History Center, 1013 Lampard Road, Friday Harbor, WA. Phone 360-378-4162 .
- San Juan County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in San Juan County
- San Juan County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for San Juan County
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for San Juan County (usgwarchives.net)
San Juan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of San Juan County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the San Juan County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH
. The documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of workers will help individuals in finding the resources, however it is up to the man or women to complete the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The below specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records will be in San Juan County. The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- San Juan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 350 Court St, Friday Harbor WA 98250
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- San Juan County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1874
- Land Records: 1877
- San Juan County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments.
- Court Records: 1874
- Probate Records: 1889
- San Juan County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
San Juan County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to San Juan County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite San Juan County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
San Juan Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
San Juan Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
San Juan Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Records of San Juan County (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
San Juan Co. WA Census Records
San Juan Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
San Juan Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
San Juan Co. WA General and History Websites
San Juan Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
San Juan Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
San Juan Co. WA Military Records
- Washington Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Washington women and men who served. Great for San Juan County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
San Juan Co. WA Schools & Directories