Smyth County, Virginia Facts
Smyth County Facts
- Government Website: www.smythcounty.org
- Created Date / Origin: 1832 from Wythe County and Washington County
- County Seat: Marion
- Named After: Alexander Smyth, Congressman from Virginia
- Bordering Counties: Russell County (northwest), Tazewell County (north), Bland County (northeast), Wythe County (east), Grayson County (south), Washington County (southwest).
- Cities & towns include: Adwolf, Atkins, Chilhowie, Marion, Saltville and Sugar Grove
Smyth County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Smyth County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Smyth County Historical Society, P.O. Box 574, Marion, VA 24354, (540) 783-2745
- Smyth-Bland Regional Library, 118 South Sheffey Street, Marion, VA 24354, (540) 783-2323
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Smyth County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Smyth County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Smyth County
- Smyth County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Smyth County
- Smyth County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Smyth Co. Virginia
Smyth County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Smyth County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Smyth County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Smyth County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Smyth County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 109 West Main Street, Room 144, Marion, VA 24354
- Phone: (276) 782-4044
- Marriage Records: 1832
- Land Records: 1832
- Court Records: 1832
- Probate Records: 1832
- Smyth County (VA) Treasurer
- Smyth County Commissioner of Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Smyth County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Smyth County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Smyth County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Smyth Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Smyth Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Smyth Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Smyth Co. VA Census Records
Smyth Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Smyth Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Smyth Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Smyth Co. VA General and History Websites
Smyth Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Smyth Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.