Russell County, Virginia Facts
Russell County Facts
- Government Website: www.russellcountyva.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1786 from Washington County
- County Seat: Lebanon
- Named After: William Russell, frontiersman and state representative
- Bordering Counties: Dickenson County (northwest), Buchanan County (north), Tazewell County (east), Smyth County (southeast), Washington County (south), Scott County (southwest), Wise County (west).
- Cities & towns include: Castlewood, Cleveland, Honaker, Lebanon and Dante
Russell County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Russell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Russell County Public Library, 203 N.W. Main Street, P.O. Box 247, Lebanon, VA 24266, (540) 889-8044
- Russell County Historical Society, P.O. Box 313, Honaker, VA 24260, (703) 873-5246
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Russell County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Russell County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Russell County
- Russell County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Russell County
- Russell County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Russell Co. Virginia
Russell County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Russell County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Russell County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Russell county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The first marriage register and all loose files were lost in a fire in the clerk's office in 1872.
- Russell County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 435, 53 East Main Street, Lebanon, VA 24266-0435
- Phone: (276) 889-8023
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1768
- Court Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1786
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Russell County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Russell County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Russell County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Russell Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Russell Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Russell Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Russell Co. VA Census Records
Russell Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Russell Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Russell Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Russell Co. VA General and History Websites
Russell Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Russell Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.