Prince Edward County, Virginia Facts
Prince Edward County Facts
Prince Edward County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Prince Edward County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Farmville-Prince Edward Historical Society, P.O. Box 546, Farmville, VA 23901
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923; The society services 13 counties: Amelia, Appomattox, Brunswick, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward
- Longwood College Library, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909-1897, (434) 395-2633
- High Bridge Battlefield Museum and Prince Edward County Virginia Civil War History
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Prince Edward County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Prince Edward County
- Prince Edward County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Prince Edward County
- Prince Edward County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Prince Edward Co. Virginia
Prince Edward County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Prince Edward County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Prince Edward County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Prince Edward County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Prince Edward County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: Courthouse Building, P. O. Box 304, North Main Street, Farmville, VA 23901-0304
- Phone: (434) 392-5145
- Marriage Records: 1754
- Land Records: 1754
- Court Records: 1754
- Probate Records: 1754
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Prince Edward County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Prince Edward County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Prince Edward County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Prince Edward Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Prince Edward Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Prince Edward Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Prince Edward Co. VA Census Records
Prince Edward Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Prince Edward Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Prince Edward Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Prince Edward Co. VA General and History Websites
Prince Edward Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Prince Edward Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.