Nelson County, Virginia Facts
Nelson County Facts
- Government Website: www.nelsoncounty.com/
- Created Date / Origin: 1807 from Amherst County
- County Seat: Lovingston
- Named After: Thomas Nelson Jr., governor of Virginia and signer of the Declaration of Independence
- Bordering Counties: Augusta County (northwest), Albemarle County (northeast), Buckingham County (southeast), Appomattox County (south), Amherst County (southwest), Rockbridge County (west).
- Cities & towns include: There are no cities or incorporated towns in Nelson County. Unincorporated communities include but are not limited to Afton, Arrington, Bryant, Lovingston, Massies Mill, Montebello, Nellysford, Roseland, Schuyler, Shipman, Wingina, Gladstone, Tyro
Nelson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Nelson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Nelson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Nelson County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Nelson County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Nelson County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Nelson County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 10, 84 Courthouse Square, 1st Floor, Lovingston, VA 22949-0010
- Phone: (434) 263-7020
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Land Records: 1808
- Court Records: 1808
- Probate Records: 1808
- Nelson County (VA) Treasurer
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Nelson County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Nelson County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Nelson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Nelson Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Nelson Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Nelson Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Nelson Co. VA Census Records
Nelson Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Nelson Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Nelson Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Nelson Co. VA General and History Websites
Nelson Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Nelson Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.