Henry County, Virginia Facts
Henry County Facts
- Government Website: www.henrycountyva.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: 1777 from Pittsylvania County.
- County Seat: Martinsville
- Named After: Patrick Henry, governor of Virginia and U.S. Founding Father
- Bordering Counties: Franklin County (north), Pittsylvania County (east), Rockingham County, North Carolina (south), Stokes County, North Carolina (south-southwest), Patrick County (west).
- Cities & towns include: Bassett, Chatmoss, Collinsville, Fieldale, Horse Pasture, Laurel Park, Oak Level, Ridgeway, Sandy Level, Stanleytown and Villa Heights
Henry County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Henry County Historical Society, P.O. Box Drawer 432, Martinsville, VA 24114
- Virginia-North Carolina Piedmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2272, Danville 24541-0272
- Bassett Historical Center, 3964 Fairystone Park Highway Bassett, Virginia 24055, phone number is: 540-629-9191
- Covered Bridge Society Of Virginia, Inc. - The society encourages the preservation of historic timber covered bridges in Virginia
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Henry County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Henry County
- Henry County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Henry Co. Virginia
Henry County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Henry County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Henry County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Henry County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Henry County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: Suite B, 3160 Kings Mountain Rd., Martinsville, VA 24112-3966
- Phone: (276) 634-4880
- Marriage Records: 1777
- Land Records: 1777
- Court Records: 1777
- Probate Records: 1777
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Henry County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Henry County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Henry County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Henry Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henry Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Henry Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Henry Co. VA Census Records
Henry Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Henry Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Henry Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henry Co. VA General and History Websites
Henry Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henry Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.