Henrico County, Virginia Facts
Henrico County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.henrico.va.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1634 as one of the eight original shires.
- County Seat: Richmond
- Named After: Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, oldest son of James I of England
- Bordering Counties: Chesterfield County (south), Goochland County (west), Hanover County (north), New Kent County (northeast), Charles City County (southeast).
- Cities & towns include: Chamberlayne, Dumbarton, East Highland Park, Glen Allen, Highland Springs, Lakeside, Laurel, Montrose, Sandston, Short Pump, Tuckahoe, Varina and Wyndham
Henrico County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Henrico County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Henrico County Historical Society, 1590 E. Parham Rd., Richmond, VA 23229, (804) 501-5682
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- East Henrico Health Department, Glen Echo Building, 3810 Nine Mile Road, Richmond, VA 23223, (804) 652-3190, Fax: (804) 652-3188
- West Henrico Health Dept, P.O. Box 27032, 8600 Dixon Powers Drive, Richmond, VA 23273, (804) 501-4522
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023; Telephone (804) 285-8954; Please note that because of our close proximity to the Library of Virginia and the Virginia Historical Society, the Virginia Genealogical Society does not maintain a research facility or surname material.
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901; Mail: P.O.Box 7311, 23221-0311; Tuesday-Saturday 10-5 and Sunday 1-5 (galleries only)
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henrico County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Henrico County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henrico County
- Henrico County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Henrico County
- Henrico County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Henrico Co. Virginia
Henrico County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Henrico County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Henrico County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Henrico county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Henrico County Court records prior to 1655 and almost all prior to 1677 are missing; additionally, many isolated records were destroyed during the Revolutionary War, and almost all Henrico County Circuit Court records were destroyed by fire in Richmond on 3 April 1865.
- Henrico County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 90775, 4301 East Parham Road, Henrico, VA 23273-0775
- Phone: (804) 501-4202
- Marriage Records: 1781
- Land Records: 1650
- Court Records:1650
- Probate Records:1650
- Henrico County, Virginia - Department of Finance
- Henrico County Real Estate Division
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Henrico County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Henrico County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Henrico County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Henrico Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henrico Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Henrico Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Henrico Co. VA Census Records
Henrico Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
- Sandston, Virginia, Seven Pines National Cemetery, 1866-2009 (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Harrison, Virginia, Fort Harrison National Cemetery, 1866-2008 (search.ancestry.com)
- Henrico Co., Virginia Graves (findagrave.com)
- Henrico County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Henrico Co., Virginia Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Henrico County, Virginia (topozone.com)
- Henrico Co., Virginia Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Henrico Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Henrico Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henrico Co. VA General and History Websites
Henrico Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henrico Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.