Halifax County, Virginia Facts
Halifax County Facts
- Government Website: www.halifaxcountyva.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: 1752 from Lunenburg County
- County Seat: Halifax
- Named After: George Montagu-Dunk, 2nd Earl of Halifax, President of the Board of Trade
- Bordering Counties: Campbell County (northwest), Charlotte County (northeast), Mecklenburg County (east), Granville County, North Carolina (southeast), Person County, North Carolina (south), Caswell County, North Carolina (southwest), Pittsylvania County (west).
- Cities & towns include: Halifax, Scottsburg, South Boston and Virgilina
Halifax County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Halifax County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Virginia-North Carolina Piedmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2272, Danville 24541-0272
- Halifax County Historical Society,
P.O. Box 177,
Halifax Courthouse, VA 24558
- South Boston-Halifax County Museum of Fine Arts and History,
1500 Wilborn Avenue,
South Boston, VA 24592,
- Halifax County Regional Library,
161 South Main Street,
Halifax, VA 24558,
- Piedmont Genealogical Society,
511 Patton Street, P.O. Box 2272,
Danville, VA 24541-0272,
(434) 799-5195, Ext. 8
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Halifax County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Halifax County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Halifax County
- Halifax County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Halifax County
- Halifax County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Halifax Co. Virginia
Halifax County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Halifax County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Halifax County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Halifax County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Halifax County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 729, Main Street, Halifax, VA 24558-0729
- Phone: (434) 476-6211
- Marriage Records: 1753
- Land Records: 1746
- Court Records: 1752
- Probate Records: 1752
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Halifax County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Halifax County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Halifax County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Halifax Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Halifax Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Halifax Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Halifax Co. VA Census Records
Halifax Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Halifax Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Halifax Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Halifax Co. VA General and History Websites
Halifax Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Halifax Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.