Frederick County, Virginia Facts
Frederick County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.frederick.va.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1743 from Orange County (part of Augusta County was added later. Authorized in 1738, but the government was not formed until 1743)
- County Seat: Winchester
- Named After: Frederick, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George II
- Bordering Counties: Clarke County (east), Warren County (south), Shenandoah County (southwest), Hardy County, West Virginia (southwest), Hampshire County, West Virginia (west), Morgan County, West Virginia (north), Berkeley County, West Virginia (northeast).
- Cities & towns include: Winchester, Middletown and Stephens City.
Frederick County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Frederick County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Handley Regional Library,
100 West Piccadilly Street,
Winchester, VA 22601,
- Shenandoah Valley Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 2234,
Winchester, VA 22604
- Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1340 South Pleasant Valley Road, Winchester, VA 22601, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , 540-662-6550 ,
- Central Rappahannock Heritage Center, 900 Barton Street (in the old Maury School building). Fredericksburg, VA; ph: 540-373-3704
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Frederick County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Frederick County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Frederick County
- Frederick County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Frederick County
- Frederick County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Frederick Co. Virginia
Frederick County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Frederick County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Frederick County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Frederick county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Authorized in 1738, but the government was not formed until 1743.
- Frederick County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 5 North Kent Street, Winchester, VA 22601-5037
- Phone: (540) 667-5770
- Marriage Records: 1771
- Land Records: 1743
- Court Records: 1743
- Probate Records: 1743
- Frederick County (VA) Treasurer
- Frederick County Real Estate Information
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Frederick County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Frederick County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Frederick County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Frederick Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Frederick Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Frederick Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Frederick County, Virginia, Wills & Administrations, 1795-1816 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Frederick Co. VA Census Records
Frederick Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Frederick Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Frederick Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Frederick Co. VA General and History Websites
- Frederick County Virginia (genealogytrails.com)
- Frederick County, Virginia Hopewell Friends History (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the Lower Shenandoah Valley Counties of Frederick, Berkeley, Jefferson and Clarke : their early settlement and progr (search.ancestry.com)
- Shenandoah Valley pioneers and their descendants : a history of Frederick County, Virginia (illustrated) from its formation in (search.ancestry.com)
- Winchester, Virginia, and its beginnings, 1743-1814 : from its founding by Colonel James Wood to the close of the life of his s (search.ancestry.com)
- The story of Winchester in Virginia, the oldest town in the Shenandoah Valley (search.ancestry.com)
- Frederick County, Virginia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Frederick County, Virginia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Frederick Co. VA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Frederick County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Frederick County - American History and Genealogy Project (usgennet.org)
- Frederick County, Virginia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Virginia - Counties - Frederick (cyndislist.com)
- Frederick Co. VAGenweb (genealogenie.net)
- Frederick County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Frederick Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Frederick Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Frederick Co. VA Military Records