Franklin County, Virginia Facts
Franklin County Facts
- Government Website: www.franklincountyva.org/
- Created Date / Origin: 1785 from Bedford County and Henry County
- County Seat: Rocky Mount
- Named After: Benjamin Franklin, publisher, orator, scholar, and U.S. Founding Father
- Bordering Counties: Bedford County (northeast), Pittsylvania County (southeast), Henry County (south), Patrick County (southwest), Floyd County (west), Roanoke County (northwest).
- Cities & towns include: Boones Mill, Ferrum, North Shore, Penhook, Rocky Mount, Union Hall, and Westlake Corner.
Franklin County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Franklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Virginia-North Carolina Piedmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2272, Danville 24541-0272
- Franklin County Public Library,
138 East Court Street,
Rocky Mount, VA 24151;
- Franklin County Heritage Society,
Cheryl Ramsey, Secretary,
810 Holley Road,
Henry, VA 24102;
(540) 365-2302. Open 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. , closed Wednesday, Sunday. We provide research service for a requested $20 per hour plus copying fees (25 cents, 50 cents per page). All the money collected goes into our operating fund. Membership dues $15 for an individual, $25 family (husband/wife), $75 patrons.
- Franklin County Historical Society,
Rocky Mount, VA 24151
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Franklin County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Franklin County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Franklin County
- Franklin County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Franklin County
- Franklin County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Franklin Co. Virginia
Franklin County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Franklin County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Franklin County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Franklin County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Franklin County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P.O. Box 567, 275 South Main Street, Suite 212, Rocky Mount, VA 24151
- Phone: (540) 483-3065
- Marriage Records: 1785
- Land Records: 1786
- Court Records: 1785
- Probate Records:1786
- Franklin County (VA) Treasurer
- Franklin County Real Estate Records
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Franklin County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Franklin County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Franklin County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Franklin Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Franklin Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Franklin Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- An old Virginia court : being a transcript of the records of the first court of Franklin County, Virginia, 1786-1789, with biog (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Franklin Co. VA Census Records
Franklin Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Franklin Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Franklin Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Franklin Co. VA General and History Websites
Franklin Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Franklin Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.