Charles City County, Virginia Facts
Charles City County Facts
Charles City County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Charles City County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Charles City County Historical Society, 16530 The Glebe Lane, Charles City, VA 23030
- Charles City County Center for Local History, P.O. Box 128, 10600 Courthouse Road, Charles City, VA 23030, (804) 652-1516
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Charles City County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Charles City County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Charles City County
- Charles City County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Charles City County
- Charles City County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Charles City Co. Virginia
Charles City County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Charles City County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Charles City County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Charles City county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Records have been destroyed at various times. The most damage occurred during the Civil War when the records were strewn through woods in a rainstorm. Many fragments of records exist, so many, in fact, that there is something for almost every year.
- Charles City County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 86, 10780 Courthouse Road, Charles City, VA 23030-0086
- Phone: (804) 652-2105
- Marriage Records: 1762
- Land Records: 1655
- Court Records: 1655
- Probate Records: 1650
- Charles City County Treasurer Office
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Charles City County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Charles City County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Charles City County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Charles City Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Charles City Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Charles City Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Charles City County court orders, 1655-1658 (search.ancestry.com)
- Charles City County court orders, 1658-1661 (search.ancestry.com)
- Charles City County court orders, 1661-1664 (search.ancestry.com)
- Charles City County court orders, 1664-1665 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Charles City Co. VA Census Records
Charles City Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Charles City Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Charles City Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Charles City Co. VA General and History Websites
Charles City Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Charles City Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.