Caroline County, Virginia Facts
Caroline County Facts
Caroline County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Caroline County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Caroline Historical Society, P.O. Box 324, Bowling Green, VA 22427, (804) 633-6101
- Caroline County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 9, Bowling Green, VA 22427
- Central Rappahannock Heritage Center, 900 Barton Street (in the old Maury School building). Fredericksburg, VA; ph: 540-373-3704
- Caroline Library, Inc., 17202 Richmond Turnpike, P. O. Box 9, Bowling Green, VA 22427, Phone 804-633-5455
- Dawn Branch, 16315-C Dawn Boulevard, Hanover, VA 23069, Phone 804-994-2770
- Ladysmith Branch, 18108 Allen Street, Ruther Glen, VA 22546, Phone 804-448-0357
- Port Royal Branch, 419 King Street, Port Royal, VA 22535, Phone 804-742-5254
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Caroline County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Caroline County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Caroline County
- Caroline County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Caroline County
- Caroline County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Caroline Co. Virginia
Caroline County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Caroline County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Caroline County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Caroline county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Most records prior to 1836 were destroyed during the Civil War. Some deeds and wills are recorded in extant Chancery Papers, and a considerable number of order books and loose papers survive.
- Caroline County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: Courthouse Lane and Main Street, P.O. Box 309, Bowling Green, VA. 22427
- Phone: 804.633.5800
- Marriage Records: 1787
- Land Records: 1728
- Court Records: 1732
- Probate Records: 1665
- Caroline County Treasurer's Office
- Caroline County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Caroline County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Caroline County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Caroline County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Caroline Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Caroline Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Caroline Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Caroline Co. VA Census Records
Caroline Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Caroline Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Caroline Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Caroline Co. VA General and History Websites
Caroline Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Caroline Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.