Campbell County, Virginia Facts
Campbell County Facts
Campbell County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Campbell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Campbell County Historical Society, P. O. Box 595, Rustburg, VA 24588
- Avoca Museums & Historical Society, 1514 Main St., Altavista, VA 24517-1132, (434) 369-1076
- Staunton River Historical Society, Willie Hodges Booth Museum, P.O. Box 270, Brookneal, VA 24528
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923
- Campbell County Public Library, 684 Village Highway Lower Level, P. O. Box 310, Rustburg, VA 24588, Phone 434-332-9560
- Patrick Henry Memorial Library, 204 Lynchburg Avenue, Brookneal, VA 24528, Phone 434-376-3363
- Staunton River Memorial Library, 500 Washington Avenue , Altavista, VA 24517, 434-369-5140
- Timbrook Branch , 21039 Timberlake Road, Suite F, Lynchburg, VA 24502, 434-239-1190
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Campbell County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Campbell County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Campbell County
- Campbell County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Campbell County
- Campbell County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Campbell Co. Virginia
Campbell County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Campbell County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Campbell County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Campbell County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Campbell County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 7, 732 Village Highway, Rustburg, VA 24588-0007
- Phone: (434) 592-9517
- Marriage Records: 1782
- Land Records: 1782
- Court Records: 1782
- Probate Records: 1782
- Campbell County Treasurer's Office
- Campbell County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Campbell County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Campbell County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Campbell County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Campbell Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Campbell Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Campbell Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Campbell Co. VA Census Records
Campbell Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Campbell Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Campbell Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Campbell Co. VA General and History Websites
Campbell Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Campbell Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.