Brunswick County, Virginia Facts
Brunswick County Facts
- Government Website: www.brunswickco.com/
- Created Date / Origin: Authorized in 1720 from Prince George County , but the government was not formed until 1732. (Parts of Isle of Wight County and Surry County were added in 1732)
- County Seat: Lawrenceville
- Named After: Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg, from which the current line of British monarchs hailed
- Bordering Counties: Nottoway County (north), Dinwiddie County (northeast), Greensville County (east), Dinwiddie County (northeast), Warren County, North Carolina (south), Mecklenburg County (west), Lunenburg County (northwest).
- Cities & towns include: Alberta, Brodnax and Lawrenceville.
Brunswick County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Brunswick County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Brunswick Museum and Historical Society, Inc., Courthouse Square, P.O. Box 837, Lawrenceville, VA 23868
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923
- Meherrin Regional Library, 133 West Hicks Street, Lawrenceville, VA 23868, Phone 434-848-2418
- Brunswick County Library, 133 West Hicks Street, Lawrenceville, VA 23868, Phone 434-848-2418
- Richardson Memorial Libary, 1 Spring Street, Emporia, VA 23847, Phone 434-634-2539
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Brunswick County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Brunswick County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Brunswick County
- Brunswick County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Brunswick County
- Brunswick County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Brunswick Co. Virginia
Brunswick County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Brunswick County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Brunswick County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Brunswick county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The first pages of a number of early record books damaged by time.
- Brunswick County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 216 North Main Street, Lawrenceville, VA 23868-0160
- Phone: (434) 848-2215
- Marriage Records: 1750
- Land Records: 1732
- Court Records: 1732
- Probate Records: 1732
- Brunswick County Treasurer's Office
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Brunswick County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Brunswick County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Brunswick County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Brunswick Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Brunswick Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Brunswick Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Brunswick Co. VA Census Records
Brunswick Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Brunswick Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Brunswick Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Brunswick Co. VA General and History Websites
Brunswick Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Brunswick Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.