Botetourt County, Virginia Facts
Botetourt County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.botetourt.va.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1769 fromAugusta County. (Part of Rockbridge County was added in 1785)
- County Seat: Fincastle
- Named After: Norborne Berkeley, 4th Baron Botetourt, colonial governor of Virginia
- Bordering Counties: Roanoke County (southwest), Craig County (west), Alleghany County (northwest), Rockbridge County (northeast), Bedford County (southeast).
- Cities & towns include: Blue Ridge, Buchanan, Cloverdale, Daleville, Eagle Rock, Fincastle, Hollins, Oriskany, Springwood and Troutville.
Botetourt County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Botetourt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Botetourt County Historical Society, Inc.(Botetourt County Historical Museum), Building 3, P.O. Box 468, 1 West Main Street, Fincastle, VA 24090-0468; Telephone: 540-473-8394
- Fincastle Library Research Room
- The Craig-Botetourt Genealogy Club, P.O. Box 1148, Buchanan, VA 24066
- Botetourt County Library, 28 Avery Row, Roanoke, VA 24012, Phone 540-977-3433
- Buchanan Branch Library, 19795 Main Street, Buchanan, VA 24066, Phone 540-254-2538
- Fincastle Branch Library, 11 Academy Street, Fincastle, VA 24090, Phone 540-473-8339
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Botetourt County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Botetourt County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Botetourt County
- Botetourt County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Botetourt County
- Botetourt County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Botetourt Co. Virginia
Botetourt County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Botetourt County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Botetourt County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Botetourt County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Botetourt County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 219, Courthouse, Main Street, Fincastle, VA 24090-0219
- Phone: (540) 473-8274
- Marriage Records: 1770
- Land Records: 1770
- Court Records: 1770
- Probate Records: 1770
- Botetourt County Treasurer's Office
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Botetourt County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Botetourt County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Botetourt County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Botetourt Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Botetourt Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Botetourt Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Botetourt Co. VA Census Records
Botetourt Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Botetourt Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Botetourt Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Botetourt Co. VA General and History Websites
Botetourt Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Botetourt Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.