Bland County, Virginia Facts
Bland County Facts
- Government Website: www.bland.org/
- Created Date / Origin: March 30, 1861 and was formed FromGiles County, Wythe County and Tazewell County. (An additional part of Giles County was added in 1900)
- County Seat: Bland
- Named After: Richard Bland, member of the Continental Congress and publisher of the American Revolutionary War-era tract An Inquiry into the Rights of the British Colonies
- Bordering Counties: Mercer County, West Virginia (north), Giles County (northeast), Pulaski County (southeast), Wythe County (south), Smyth County (southwest), Tazewell County (west).
- Cities & towns include: Bland, Rocky Gap
Bland County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Bland County Historical Society, PO Box 416, 6394 North Scenie Highway, Bastian, VA 24314; (276) 688-3438
- Smyth-Bland Regional Library, 118 South Sheffey Street, Marion, VA 24354, Phone 276-783-2323
- Bland County Library, 140 Main Street, Bland, VA 24315, Phone 276-688-3737
- Saltville Public Library, 111 Palmer Avenue, Saltville, VA 24370, Phone 276-496-5514
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bland County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Bland County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bland County
- Bland County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bland County
- Bland County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Bland Co. Virginia
Bland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Bland County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Bland County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bland county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. All but a few record books and some chancery papers were destroyed by fire in 1888.
- Bland County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 612 Main Street, Suite 104, P.O. Box 295, Bland, VA 24315-0295
- Phone: (276) 688-4562
- Marriage Records: 1861
- Land Records: 1861
- Court Records: 1861
- Probate Records: 1861
- Bland County Treasurer
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Bland County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Bland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Bland County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bland Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bland Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bland Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bland Co. VA Census Records
Bland Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bland Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Bland Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bland Co. VA General and History Websites
Bland Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bland Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.