Bedford County, Virginia Facts
Bedford County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.bedford.va.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1753 and was formed from Lunenburg County. (Part of Albemarle County was added in 1754 and part of Lunenberg County was added later. Parts of Bedford Co was used to form Campbell County (1782) and Franklin County (1786)
- County Seat: Bedford
- Named After: John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford, British politician and one of the head negotiators of the Peace of Paris
- Bordering Counties: Rockbridge County (north), Amherst County (northeast), Lynchburg (east), Campbell County (southeast), Pittsylvania County (south), Franklin County (southwest), Roanoke County (west), Botetourt County (northwest).
- Cities & towns include: Forest, New London, Huddleston, Moneta, Montvale, Thaxton, Goode and Big Island
Bedford County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bedford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Bedford Museum and Genealogical Library 201 East Main St.-Bedford, Va 24523; Tel. 540 586 4520
- Bedford Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1439, Bedford, Virginia 24523; 540-466-4247
- Bedford Historical Society, Inc., 315 North Bridge Street, P.O. Box 602, Bedford, VA 24523; (540) 586-8188
- Bedford Public Library System, 321 North Bridge Street, Bedford, VA 24523, Phone 540-586-8911
- Big Island Library, 1111 Schooldays Road, Big Island, VA 24526, Phone 434-299-5604
- Forest Library, 15583 Forest Road, Forest, VA 24551, Phone 434-525-1817
- Moneta/Smith Mountain Lake Library, 13641 Moneta Road, Moneta, VA 24121, Phone 540-297-6474
- Montvale Library, 11575 West Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike, Montvale, VA 24122, Phone 540-947-2200
- Stewartsville Libray, 45 Cascade Drive, Vinton, VA 24179, Phone 540-890-4530
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bedford County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Bedford County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bedford County
- Bedford County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bedford County
- Bedford County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Bedford Co. Virginia
Bedford County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Bedford County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Bedford County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Bedford County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Bedford County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 123 East Main St., Suite 201, Bedford, VA 24523
- Phone: (540) 586-7632
- Marriage Records: 1755
- Land Records: 1754
- Court Records:1754
- Probate Records:1754
- Bedford County (VA) Treasurer
- Bedford County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Bedford County Real Estate Parcel Search
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Bedford County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Bedford County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Bedford County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bedford Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bedford Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bedford Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bedford Co. VA Census Records
Bedford Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bedford Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Bedford Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bedford Co. VA General and History Websites
Bedford Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bedford Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.