Bath County, Virginia Facts
Bath County Facts
- Government Website: www.bathcountyva.org/
- Created Date / Origin: 1791 and was formed from Augusta County, Botetourt County and Greenbrier County (West Virginia)
- County Seat: Warm Springs
- Named After: the town of Bath in England.
- Bordering Counties: Highland County (north), Augusta County (northeast), Rockbridge County (east), Alleghany County (south), Greenbrier County, West Virginia (southwest), Pocahontas County, West Virginia (west).
- Cities & towns include: Armstrong, Ashwood, Bacova, Bacova Junction, Bath Alum, Bolar, Burnsville, Carloover, Chimney Run, Crowdertown, Fort Lewis, Green Valley, Healing Springs, Hot Springs, McClung, Millboro, Millboro Springs, Mitchelltown, Mountain Grove, Sunrise, Switch Back, Thomastown, Tinkertown, Warm Springs, West Warm Springs, Williamsville, Yost.
Bath County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bath County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Bath County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Bath County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Bath County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Bath County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Bath County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 180, Courthouse, Warm Springs, VA 24484-0180
- Phone: (540) 839-7226
- Marriage Records: 1791
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Probate Records: 1791
- Bath Caounty County Government Services
- Bath County Commissioner of the Revenue - 540-839-7231
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Bath County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Bath County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Bath County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bath Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bath Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bath Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bath Co. VA Census Records
Bath Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bath Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Bath Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bath Co. VA General and History Websites
Bath Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bath Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.