Arlington County, Virginia Facts
Arlington County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.arlington.va.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1789 as Alexandria County and was formed from a part of Fairfax County (it was ceded to the U.S. government in 1789 but was returned to Virginia in 1846. It was renamed to Arlington Co in 1920)
- County Seat: Arlington
- Named After: Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington, colonial proprietary landowner
- Bordering Counties: Fairfax County (west), Washigton D.C. (north), Prince George's County, Maryland (east).
- Cities & towns include: Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse, Crystal City, Lyon Village, Pentagon City, Rosslyn, Shirlington, Virginia Square, Westover, Williamsburg Circle, Palisades
Arlington County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Arlington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Arlington Historical Society, 1805 South Arlington Ridge Road (Arlington Historical Museum) 703-892-4204; P.O. Box 402, Arlington, VA 22210-0402; 703-892-4204
- National Genealogical Society, 3108 Columbia Pike, Suite 300, Arlington, VA 22204; (703) 525-0050
- Arlington Department of Libraries, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 402, Arlington, VA 22201, Phone 703-228-3348
- Central Library , 1015 N. Quincy St. , Arlington, VA 22201 , Phone 703-228-5990
- Aurora Hills Library , 735 S. 18th St. , Arlington, VA 22202 , Phone 703-228-5715
- Cherrydale Library , 2190 N. Military Rd. , Arlington VA 22207 , Phone 703-228-6330
- Columbia Pike Library , 816 S. Walter Reed Dr. , Arlington, VA 22204 , Phone 703-228-5710
- Government Reference Library , #1 Courthouse Plaza , Suite 406 , 2100 Clarendon Blvd. , Arlington, VA 22201 , Phone 703-228-3352
- Outreach Centers , Phone 703-228-5585
- Shirlington Library , 2786 S. Arlington Mill Dr. , Arlington, VA 22206 , Phone 703-228-6545
- Westover Library , 1800 N. Lexington St. , Arlington, VA 22205 , Phone 703-228-5260
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Arlington County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Arlington County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Arlington County
- Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Arlington County
- Arlington County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Arlington Co. Virginia
Arlington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Arlington County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Arlington County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Arlington County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county. Pre-1920 records belong to Alexandria and Fairfax Counties and the District of Columbia.
- Arlington County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 1425 North Courthouse Road, Arlington, VA 22201
- Phone: (703) 228-7010
- Marriage Records: 1801
- Land Records: 1669
- Court Records: 1778
- Probate Records: 1772
- Arlington County Real Estate Assessments
- Arlington County Treasurer
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Arlington County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Arlington County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Arlington County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Arlington Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Arlington Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Arlington Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Arlington Co. VA Census Records
Arlington Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Arlington Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Arlington Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Arlington Co. VA General and History Websites
Arlington Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Arlington Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.