Williamson County, Tennessee Facts
Williamson County Facts
- Government Website: www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov
- Created Date / Origin: October 26, 1799 from Davidson County
- County Seat: Franklin
- Named After: U.S. Representative Hugh Williamson (1735–1819).
- Bordering Counties: Davidson County (north), Rutherford County (east), Marshall County (southeast), Maury County (south), Hickman County (southwest), Dickson County (northwest) and Cheatham County (north-northwest)
- Cities & towns include: Brentwood, Fairview, Franklin, Nolensville, Thompson's Station, Spring Hill
Williamson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Williamson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Williamson County Archives, P.O. Box 1006, Franklin , TN 37065; Phone: (615) 790-5462
- Williamson County Historical Society, P.O. Box 71, Franklin 37065
- Historic Carnton Plantation, 1345 Carnton Lane, Franklin, TN 37069 615-794-0903
- Williamson County Public Library, 1314 Columbia Avenue, Franklin, TN 37064 615-595-1243
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Williamson County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Williamson County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Williamson County
- Williamson County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Williamson County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Williamson County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Williamson County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Williamson County.
Williamson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Williamson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Williamson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 624, 1320 W. Main St., Suite 135, Franklin, TN 37065
- Phone: (615) 790-5712
- Marriage Records: 1800
- Probate Records: 1800
- Williamson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 1320 West Main Street, P.O. Box 808, Franklin, TN 37065-0808
- Phone: (931) 790-5706
- Land & Deed Records: 1799
- Williamson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 135 4th Avenue South, Room 203, Franklin, TN 37064
- Phone: 615-790-5454
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1825
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1810
- County Court Minutes: 1800
- Williamson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 1320 West Main Street, Suite 300 & 313, Franklin, TN 37064
- Phone: (615) 790-5708
- Tax Records: 1804, 1821-1834, 1836, 1838, 1841-1846, 1851-1853, 1860, 1865-1869, 1871, 1872, 1875, 1884-1889, 1893-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Williamson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Williamson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Williamson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Williamson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Williamson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Williamson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Williamson Co. TN Census Records
Williamson Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Williamson Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Williamson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Williamson Co. TN General and History Websites
Williamson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Williamson Co. TN Military Records
- Williamson Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Williamson County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.