Scott County, Tennessee Facts
Scott County Facts
- Government Website: www.scottcounty.com
- Created Date / Origin: 1849 from Anderson County, Campbell County, Fentress County and Morgan County
- County Seat: Huntsville
- Named After: US. Army general and hero of the Mexican-American War Winfield Scott (1786–1866).
- Bordering Counties: McCreary County, KY (north), Campbell County (east), Anderson County (southeast), Morgan County (south), Fentress County (west) and Pickett County (northwest)
- Cities & towns include: Helenwood, Huntsville, Oneida, Winfield
Scott County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Scott County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Scott County Genealogy and Historical Societies, P.O. Box 7, Huntsville, TN 37756; Phone: (423) 663-2317
- Oneida Public Library, 290 South Main Street, Oneida, TN 37841 423-569-8634
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Scott County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Scott County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Scott County
- Scott County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Scott County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Scott County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Scott County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Scott County.
Scott County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Scott County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Scott County courthouse in 1946 and many court house records were lost.
- Scott County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 87, 283 Court St., Huntsville, TN 37756
- Phone: (423) 663-2588
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1892
- Scott County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 61, Huntsville, TN 37756
- Phone: (423) 663-2417
- Land & Deed Records: 1850
- Scott County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 575 Scott High Drive, Huntsville, TN 37756-0330
- Phone: 423-663-2440
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1858
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1850
- County Court Minutes: 1856
- Scott County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 282 Court Street, Huntsville, TN 37756
- Phone: (423) 663-2420
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
- Scott County Health Department, Courthouse Square, P. O. Box 88, 344 Court Street, Huntsville, TN 37756-0088; (423) 663-2445 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time). Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Scott County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Scott County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Scott County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Scott Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Scott Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Scott Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Scott Co. TN Census Records
Scott Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Scott Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Scott Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Scott Co. TN General and History Websites
Scott Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Scott Co. TN Military Records
- Scott Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Scott County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.