Robertson County, Tennessee Facts
Robertson County Facts
- Government Website: www.robertsoncountytn.org
- Created Date / Origin: 1796 from Tennessee County and Sumner County
- County Seat: Springfield
- Named After: James Robertson (1742–1814), Tennessee state legislator and founder of the Watauga Settlements.
- Bordering Counties: Logan County, KY (north), Simpson County, KY (northeast), Sumner County (east), Davidson County (south), Cheatham County (southwest), Montgomery County (west) and Todd County, KY (northwest)
- Cities & towns include: Adams, Cedar Hill, Coopertown, Cross Plains, Greenbrier, Millersville, Orlinda, Springfield, White House, Ridgetop
Robertson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Robertson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Robertson County Archives, 504 S. Willow St ., Springfield , TN 37172;
Phone: (615) 382-6928
- The Robertson County Historical Society & Museum, 124 6th Avenue West, P.O. Box 1022, Springfield, TN 37172; (615)382-7173
- Gorham MacBane Public Library, 405 White Street, Springfield, TN 37172 615-384-5123
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Robertson County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Robertson County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Robertson County
- Robertson County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Robertson County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Robertson County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Robertson County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Robertson County.
Robertson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Robertson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Robertson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 511 S. Brown St., Springfield, TN 37172
- Phone: (615) 384-5895
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Probate Records:1796
- Robertson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 525 South Brown Street, Springfield, TN 37172
- Phone: (615) 384-3772
- Land & Deed Records:1796
- Robertson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 109 Robertson County Courthouse 501 South Main Street, Springfield, TN 37172
- Phone: 615-384-7864
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1844
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1832
- County Court Minutes: 1796
- Robertson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 521 S. Brown St., Springfield, TN 37172
- Phone: (615) 384-4311
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Robertson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Robertson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Robertson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Robertson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Robertson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Robertson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Robertson Co. TN Census Records
Robertson Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Robertson Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Robertson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Robertson Co. TN General and History Websites
Robertson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Robertson Co. TN Military Records
- Robertson Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Robertson County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.