Moore County, Tennessee Facts
Moore County Facts
Moore County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Moore County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Moore County Archives, 2370 Bartlett Hollow Rd., Petersburg , TN 37144; Phone: (931) 684-8067
- Moore County Public Library, 17 Majors Blvd., PO Box 602, Lynchburg, TN 37352 931-759-7285
- Motlow State Community College, Crouch Library, 6015 Ledford Mill Road, PO Box 8500, Lynchburg, TN 37352 931-393-1670
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Moore County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Moore County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Moore County
- Moore County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Moore County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Moore County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Moore County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Moore County.
Moore County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Moore County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Moore County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 206, Courthouse, Lynchburg, TN 37352
- Phone: (931) 759-7346
- Marriage Records: 1872
- Probate Records: 1872
- Moore County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 206, Lynchburg, TN 37352
- Phone: (931) 759-7913
- Land & Deed Records: 1872
- Moore County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 196 Main Street, Suite 404m Lynchburg, TN 37352
- Phone: 931-759-7208
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1872
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1872
- County Court Minutes: 1872
- Moore County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 206, Courthouse, Lynchburg, TN 37352
- Phone: (931) 759-7044
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Moore County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Moore County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Moore County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Moore Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Moore Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Moore Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Moore Co. TN Census Records
Moore Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Moore Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Moore Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Moore Co. Biographies (usgwarchives.net)
- Chestnut Ridge Cousins (chestnutridgecousins.org) Chestnut Ridge Cousins is a genealogical organization, formed in 2002, committed to sharing family history with all our cousins. The Chestnut Ridge area is located in Middle Tennessee where the current Bedford, Lincoln, Marshall, and Moore counties all come together.
- Nichols and Related Families (mynicholsfamily.com)
Moore Co. TN General and History Websites
Moore Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Moore Co. TN Military Records
- Moore Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Moore County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.