Montgomery County, Tennessee Facts
Montgomery County Facts
- Government Website: www.mcgtn.org
- Created Date / Origin: 1796 from Tennessee County
- County Seat: Clarksville
- Named After: John Montgomery (c. 1750–1794), leader of the Nickajack Expedition.
- Bordering Counties: Christian County, KY (north), Todd County, KY (northeast), Robertson County (east), Cheatham County (southeast), Dickson County (south), Houston County (southwest) and Stewart County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Clarksville, St. Bethlehem, New Providence, Fredonia, Cunningham, Woodlawn, Palmyra, Sango, Southside, Shiloh, Rossview, Port Royal, Dotsonville, Orgains Crossroads, Sallors Rest, Needmore, Excell, Oakwood, Oakridge, Tarsus, Fort Campbell
Montgomery County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Montgomery County Archives, 350 Pageant Lane, Suite 101-D, P.O. Box 323, Clarksville , TN 37041-0323 ; Phone: (931) 553-5159; Montgomery County Archives has the Marriage Records from 1838 and Probate Records from 1796. We also have the Land Records from 1789 and the Court Records from the various courts of the county. In addition, we have Tax records and the loose papers of the various courts. We are located in the Veterans' Plaza on Crossland Avenue and Pageant Lane.
- Montgomery County Historical Society, P.O. Box 262, Clarksville 37041
- Austin Peay State University, Felix G. Woodward Library, 601 College Street, PO Box 4595, Clarksville, TN 37044 931-221-7028
- Clarksville-Montgomery County Public Library, 350 Pageant Lane, Suite 501, Clarksville, TN 37040 931-648-8826
- Customs House Museum & Cultural Center, 200 S. 2nd Street, PO Box 383, Clarksville, TN 37041 931-648-5780
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montgomery County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Montgomery County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Montgomery County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Montgomery County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Montgomery County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Montgomery County.
Montgomery County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Montgomery County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There were fires at the Montgomery County courthouse in 1878 & 1900, and a tornado in 1999.
- Montgomery County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 350 Pageant Lane, Suite 502, Clarksville, TN 37040
- Phone: 931-648-5711
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1796
- Montgomery County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 1124, Clarksville, TN 37041
- Phone: (931) 648-5713
- Land & Deed Records: 1800
- Montgomery County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 2 Millennium Plaza, Suite 115, Clarksville, TN 37040
- Phone: 931-648-5700
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1840
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1896
- County Court Minutes: 1805
- Montgomery County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 350 Pageant Lane, Suite 101-C, Clarksville, TN 37040
- Phone: (931) 648-5709
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Montgomery County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Montgomery County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Montgomery County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Montgomery Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montgomery Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Montgomery Co. TN Census Records
Montgomery Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montgomery Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Montgomery Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. TN General and History Websites
Montgomery Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. TN Military Records
- Montgomery Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Montgomery County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.