Loudon County, Tennessee Facts
Loudon County Facts
- Government Website: www.loudoncounty.com
- Created Date / Origin: June 2, 1870 from Blount County, Monroe County, Roane County and McMinn County
- County Seat: Loudon
- Named After: Fort Loudoun, which was named for John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun, who led British and American forces during the French and Indian War.
- Bordering Counties: Knox County (northeast), Blount County (east), Monroe County (south), McMinn County (southwest) and Roane County (northeast)
- Cities & towns include: Greenback, Lenoir City, Loudon, Philadelphia
Loudon County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Loudon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Loudon County Heritage Association, PO Box 466, Loudon, TN 37774
- Historical Society of Loudon County, 101 Foster Drive, Lenoir City, TN 37772; (865) 986-9815
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Loudon County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Loudon County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Loudon County
- Loudon County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Loudon County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Loudon County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Loudon County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Loudon County.
Loudon County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Loudon County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Loudon County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 101 Mulberry St, Ste 200, Loudon, TN 37774
- Phone: 865-458-3314
- Marriage Records: 1870
- Probate Records: 1870
- Loudon County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O.Box 395, Loudon, TN 37774
- Phone: 865) 458-2605
- Land & Deed Records: 1870
- Loudon County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 280, Loudon, TN 37774-0280
- Phone: 865-458-2042
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1870
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1870
- County Court Minutes: 1870
- Loudon County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 101 Mulberry Street, Suite 201, Loudon, Tennessee 37774
- Phone: 865-458-2059
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Loudon County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Loudon County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Loudon County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Loudon Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Loudon Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Loudon Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Loudon Co. TN Census Records
Loudon Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Loudon Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Loudon Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Loudon Co. TN General and History Websites
Loudon Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Loudon Co. TN Military Records
- Loudon Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Loudon County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.