Lawrence County, Tennessee Facts
Lawrence County Facts
- Government Website: www.lawrencecountytn.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: October 21, 1817 from Hickman County, Giles Countyand Chickasaw Indian lands
- County Seat: Lawrenceburg
- Named After: U.S. naval officer and War of 1812 hero James Lawrence (1781–1813).
- Bordering Counties: Lewis County (north), Maury County (northeast), Giles County (east), Lauderdale County, AL (south) and Wayne County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Ethridge, Iron City, Lawrenceburg (county seat), Loretto, St. Joseph, Summertown
Lawrence County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Lawrence County Archives, 524 Gallaher Street, Lawrenceburg , TN 38464; Phone: (931) 766-1576; holdings: Deeds 1818-1933;
entry and survey books 1818-1900; wills and estate settlements 1818-1996; marriages 1818-2000; county court minutes 1818-1997; circuit court minutes 1826-1920; chancery court minutes 1840-1920; administrator, executor and guardian bonds and settlements 1818-1996; land grants; cemetery records census 1820-1930. over 1,000 family file folders; many family history books; many county and community history books; some census, cemetery and marriage books for surrounding counties and statewide; maps; hundreds of old pictures
- Lawrence County Genealogical Society, 218 North Military Ave. Suite B-1, Lawrenceburg 38464
- Lawrence County Public Library, 519 E. Gaines Street, Lawrenceburg, TN 38464 931-762-4627
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lawrence County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Lawrence County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lawrence County
- Lawrence County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lawrence County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Lawrence County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Lawrence County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Lawrence County.
Lawrence County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Lawrence County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Lawrence County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 200 W Gaines St, Suite 103, Lawrenceburg, TN 38464
- Phone: 931-766-4176
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1829
- Lawrence County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 200 West Gaines St. Suite 102, Lawrenceburg, TN 38464
- Phone: (931) 766-4180
- Land & Deed Records: 1819
- Lawrence County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: NBU 12, Courthouse 240 West Gaines Street, Lawrenceburg, TN 38464
- Phone: 931-762-4398
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1840
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1832
- County Court Minutes: 1827 (1818 - 1823)
- Lawrence County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 200 West Gaines, Suite 202 Lawrenceburg, TN 38464
- Phone: (931) 766-4179
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Lawrence County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Lawrence County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Lawrence County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lawrence Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lawrence Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lawrence Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lawrence Co. TN Census Records
Lawrence Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lawrence Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Lawrence Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lawrence Co. TN General and History Websites
Lawrence Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lawrence Co. TN Military Records
- Lawrence Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Lawrence County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.