Hawkins County, Tennessee Facts
Hawkins County Facts
- Government Website: www.hawkinscounty.org
- Created Date / Origin: January 6, 1787 from Sullivan County, (originally named Spencer County; renamed in 1786)
- County Seat: Rogersville
- Named After: U.S. Senator Benjamin Hawkins (1754–1816).
- Bordering Counties: Scott County, VA (north), Sullivan County (east), Greene County (south), Hamblen County (southwest), Grainger County (southwest) and Hancock County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Bulls Gap, Church Hill, Kingsport, Mount Carmel, Rogersville, Surgoinsville
Hawkins County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hawkins County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Hawkins County Archives, 955 East McKinney Avenue, Rogersville , TN 37857; Phone: (423) 921-0904
- Hawkins County Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 429, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Stamps Memorial Library, 407 E. Main Street, Rogersville, TN 37857 423-272-8710
- Bulls Gap Railroad Museum and Community Development Corp
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hawkins County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Hawkins County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hawkins County
- Hawkins County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hawkins County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Hawkins County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Hawkins County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Hawkins County.
Hawkins County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hawkins county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. There was a fire at the Hawkins County courthouse in 1863.
- Hawkins County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 110 East Main Street, Suite 204, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Phone: 423-272-7002
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1797
- Hawkins County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 235, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Phone: (423) 272-8304
- Land & Deed Records: 1788
- Hawkins County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 115 Justice Center Drive Suite 1237, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Phone: 423-272-3397
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1825
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1810
- County Court Minutes: 1827
- Hawkins County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 110 East Main Street, Room 201, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Phone: 423-272-8505
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Hawkins County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hawkins County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Hawkins County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hawkins Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hawkins Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hawkins Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hawkins Co. TN Census Records
Hawkins Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hawkins Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Hawkins Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hawkins Co. TN General and History Websites
Hawkins Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hawkins Co. TN Military Records
- Hawkins Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Hawkins County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.