Greene County, Tennessee Facts
Greene County Facts
- Government Website: www.greenecountytngovt.com
- Created Date / Origin: 1783 from Washington County, NC
- County Seat: Greeneville
- Named After: American Revolutionary War general Nathanael Greene (1742–1786).
- Bordering Counties: Hawkins County (north), Washington County (east), Unicoi County (southeast), Madison County, NC (south), Cocke County (southwest) and Hamblen County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Baileyton, Fall Branch, Greeneville, Mosheim, Tusculum
Greene County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Greene County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- T. Elmer Cox Historical and Genealogical Library, 229 N. Main Street, Greeneville , TN 37745; Phone: (423) 638-9866
- Greene County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1202, Greeneville, TN 37744, (423) 638-3090
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Andrew Johnson National Historical Site Archives, 121 Monument Ave., Greeneville, TN 37743 423-639-3711
- President Andrew Johnson Museum & Library, Tusculum College, Gilland Street, PO Box 5026, Greeneville, TN 37743 423-636-7300
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Greene County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Greene County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Greene County
- Greene County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Greene County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Greene County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Greene County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Greene County.
Greene County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Greene County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Greene County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 204 N Cutler St, Suite 200, Greeneville, TN 37745
- Phone: 423-798-1708
- Marriage Records: 1780
- Probate Records: 1800
- Greene County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 204 North Cutler Street, Greenville, TN 37745
- Phone: (423) 798-1726
- Land & Deed Records: 1785
- Greene County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Courthouse 101 South Main Street, Greeneville, TN 37743
- Phone: 423-798-1760
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1825
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1809
- County Court Minutes: 1793
- Greene County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 204 North Cutler Street, Suite 206, Greeneville, TN 37745
- Phone: (423) 798-1738
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
- Greene County Health Department,810 West Church Street, P. O. Box 159, 810 West Church Street, Greeneville, TN 37744-0159; (423) 798-1749 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time). Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Greene County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Greene County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Greene County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Greene Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Greene Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Greene Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Greene Co. TN Census Records
Greene Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Greene Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Greene Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Greene Co. TN General and History Websites
Greene Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Greene Co. TN Military Records
- Greene Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Greene County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.