Carter County, Tennessee Facts
Carter County Facts
- Government Website: www.cartercountytn.com
- Created Date / Origin: 1796 from Washington County
- County Seat: Elizabethton
- Named After: Speaker of the State of Franklin senate Landon Carter (1710–1778)
- Bordering Counties: Sullivan County (north), Johnson County (northeast), Avery County, NC (southeast), Mitchell County, NC (south), Unicoi County (southwest) and Washington County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Elizabethton (county seat), Roan Mountain (south), Johnson City (west), Pine Crest (west), Central, Watauga (northwest), Hunter (northeast)
Carter County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Carter County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Carter County & It's People 1796-1993, P.O. Box 176, Elizabethton 37643
- Elizabethton/Carter County Public Library, 201 North Sycamore Street, Elizabethton, TN 37643 423-547-6360
- Milligan College, Welshimer Memorial Library, Blowers Blvd., PO Box 600, Milligan College, TN 37682 423-461-8703
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carter County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Carter County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carter County
- Carter County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carter County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Carter County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Carter County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Carter County.
Carter County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Carter County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Carter County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 801 Elk Avenue, Elizabethton, TN 37643
- Phone: 423-542-1862
- Marriage Records: 1790
- Probate Records: 1794
- Carter County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 801 East Elk Ave., Elizabethton, TN 37643
- Phone: (423) 542-1830
- Land & Deed Records: 1796
- Carter County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Courthouse Annex 900 East Elk Avenue, Elizabethton, TN 37643
- Phone: 423-542-1835
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1854
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1848
- County Court Minutes: 1804
- Carter County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slav es.
- Address: 801 East Elk Avenue, Elizabethton, TN 37643
- Phone: (423) 542-1806
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Carter County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Carter County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Carter County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Carter Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Carter Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Carter Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Carter Co. TN Census Records
Carter Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Carter Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Carter Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Carter Co. TN General and History Websites
Carter Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Carter Co. TN Military Records
- Carter Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Carter County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.