Bradley County, Tennessee Facts
Bradley County Facts
- Government Website: www.bradleyco.net
- Created Date / Origin: February 1836 from the Ocoee District (which had been part of the Cherokee Nation)
- County Seat: Cleveland
- Named After: Tennessee state legislator Edward Bradley.
- Bordering Counties: Meigs County (north), McMinn County (northeast), Polk County (east), Murray County, GA (southeast), Whitfield County, GA (south) and Hamilton County (west)
- Cities & towns include: Charleston, Cleveland, East Cleveland, Hopewell, South Cleveland, Wildwood Lake and Georgetown
Bradley County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bradley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Bradley County Archives and Records Center, P.O. Box 1167, Cleveland , TN 37364; Phone: (423) 728-7201
- Cleveland History Branch and Archives, 833 North Ocoee Street, Cleveland , TN 37311; Phone: (423) 479-8367
- Bradley County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1384, Cleveland, TN 37364-1384
- Bradley County Historical Society, 833 North Ocoee St, Cleveland 37311
- Cleveland State Community College Library, 3535 Adkisson Drive, PO Box 3570, Cleveland, TN 37312 423-478-6209
- Pentecostal Research Center, 260 11st Street NE, Cleveland, TN 37311 423-614-8576
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bradley County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Bradley County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bradley County
- Bradley County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bradley County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Bradley County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Bradley County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Bradley County.
Bradley County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bradley county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county.
- Bradley County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: PO Box 46, Cleveland, TN 37364
- Phone: 423-728-7226
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Probate Records: 1859
- Bradley County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 155 North Ocoee St., Cleveland, TN 37364-0579
- Phone: (423-728-8888
- Land & Deed Records: 1862
- Bradley County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 155 North Ocoee Street, Rm. 205, Cleveland, TN 37311-5068
- Phone: 423-728-7220
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1838
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1838
- County Court Minutes: 1864
- Bradley County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 1412, Cleveland, TN 37364-1412
- Phone: (423) 728-7125
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
- Bradley County Health Department, 201 Dooley Street, S.E., Cleveland, TN 37311, (423) 728-7020 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time). Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Bradley County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Bradley County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Bradley Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bradley Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bradley Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bradley Co. TN Census Records
Bradley Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bradley Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Bradley Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bradley Co. TN General and History Websites
Bradley Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bradley Co. TN Military Records
- Bradley Co. Military Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Tennessee Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Tennessee both women and men that served. Great for Bradley County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.