Union County, South Carolina Facts
Union County was established on 1798 from Ninety-Six District. The county was named for the Union Church, the first Christian place of worship in the area .
The Union County Seat is situated in Union plus the county government website is www.countyofunion.org/
Areas adjacent to Union County are Cherokee County (north), York County (northeast), Chester County (east), Fairfield County (southeast), Newberry County (south), Laurens County (southwest), Spartanburg County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Union county include Carlisle, Jonesville, Lockhart, Union.
Union County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Union Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Union Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Union County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Union County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Union County Historical Society, P.O. Box 220, Union, SC 29379
- Union County Historical Museum, P. O. Box 220, Union, SC 29379
Telephone: (864) 429-5081
- Piedmont Historical Society, PO Box 1842, Spartanburg, SC 29304; Ph:864-574-3056
- Pinckney District Chapter of South Carolina Genealogical Society, PO Box 5281, 385 South Spring Street, Spartanburg, SC 29301
- Union County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Union County
- Union County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Union County
- USGenWeb Archives for Union County (usgwarchives.net)
Union County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Union County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Union County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Union county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Records of Western and Pinckney Equity Circuit Districts are housed in Union County.
- Union County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 210 West Main Street, Union, South Carolina 29379
- Union County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: 864-429-1625
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1777
- Union County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: 864-429-1630
- Land Records: 1778
- Court Records: 1785
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Union County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Union County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 115 Thomas St., P.O. Box 966, Union, SC 29379
- Phone: (864) 429-1690
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Union County: Cherokee County in 1897 and McCormick County in 1916
Union County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Union County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Union County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Union Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Union Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Union Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Union Co. SC Census Records
Union Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Union Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Union Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Union Co. SC General and History Websites
Union Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Union Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Union Co. SC Military Records
Union Co. SC Schools & Directories