Spartanburg County, South Carolina Facts
Spartanburg County was established on 1785 from Ninety-Six District, and from 1791 to 1799 it was part of Pinckney District. The county was named in honor of "Spartan Regiment" of the state militia, which was the key force for victory in the Revolutionary War Battle of Cowpens.
The Spartanburg County Seat is situated in Spartanburg plus the county government website is www.spartanburgcounty.org
Areas adjacent to Spartanburg County are Rutherford County, North Carolina (north), Cherokee County (east), Union County (southeast), Laurens County (south), Greenville County (west), Polk County, North Carolina (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Spartanburg county include Campobello, Central Pacolet, Chesnee, Cowpens, Duncan, Greer, Inman, Landrum, Lyman, Pacolet, Reidville, Spartanburg, Wellford, Woodruff
Spartanburg County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Spartanburg Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Spartanburg Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Spartanburg Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Spartanburg Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Spartanburg County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Spartanburg County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Spartanburg County Historical Association, PO Box 887, Spartanburg, SC 29304; (864) 596-3501
- Piedmont Historical Society, PO Box 1842, Spartanburg, SC 29304; Ph: 864-574-3056
- Pinckney District Chapter of South Carolina Genealogical Society, PO Box 5281, 385 South Spring Street, Spartanburg, SC 29301
- Reidville Historical Society, PO Box 375, Reidville, SC 29375; Telephone: (864) 486-0547
- Preservation Trust of Spartanburg, Inc., P.O. Box 2223, Spartanburg, SC 29304
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Spartanburg County
- Spartanburg County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Spartanburg County
- USGenWeb Archives for Spartanburg County (usgwarchives.net)
Spartanburg County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Spartanburg County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Spartanburg County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Spartanburg county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Spartanburg County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 180 Magnolia St., Spartanburg, South Carolina 29306
- Spartanburg County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 366 North Church St., Spartanburg, SC 29303
- Phone: (864) 596-2514
- Land Records: 1784
- Spartanburg County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (864) 596-2556
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1787
- Spartanburg County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: 864-596-2591
- Court Records: 1785
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Spartanburg County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Spartanburg County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 151 E. Wood St., P.O. Box 4217, Spartanburg, SC 29305
- Phone: (864) 596-2227
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Spartanburg County: Cherokee County in 1897.
Spartanburg County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Spartanburg County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Spartanburg County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Spartanburg Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Spartanburg Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Spartanburg Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Spartanburg Co. SC Census Records
Spartanburg Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Spartanburg Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Spartanburg Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Spartanburg Co. SC General and History Websites
Spartanburg Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Spartanburg Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Spartanburg Co. SC Military Records
Spartanburg Co. SC Schools & Directories