Richland County, South Carolina Facts
Richland County was established on 1799 from Camden District. The county was named for the county's rich soil .
The Richland County Seat is situated in Columbia plus the county government website is www.richlandonline.com/
Areas adjacent to Richland County are Fairfield County (north), Kershaw County (northeast), Sumter County (east), Calhoun County (south), Lexington County (west), Newberry County (Northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Richland county include Arcadia Lakes, Blythewood, Cayce, Columbia, Eastover, Forest Acres, Irmo.
Richland County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Richland Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Richland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Richland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Richland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Richland County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Richland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Richland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Richland County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Richland County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Richland county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. General William T. Sherman captured Columbia during the Civil War, and his troops burned the town on February 17, 1865. Records are fragmented. Columbia Equity Circuit District records are housed in Richland County
- Richland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Richland County Judicial Center, 1701 Main Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29202
- Richland County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: 803-576-1910 or 803-576-1913
- Land Records: 1865
- Richland County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (803) 576-1997
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1787
- Richland County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: (803) 576-1950 Fax: (803) 576-1785
- Court Records: 1793
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Richland County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Richland County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 2000 Hampton Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29204
- Phone: (803) 576-2980
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Richland County: Kershaw County in 1791.
Richland County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Richland County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Richland County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Richland Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Richland Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Richland Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Richland Co. SC Census Records
Richland Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Richland Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Richland Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Richland Co. SC General and History Websites
Richland Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Richland Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Richland Co. SC Military Records
Richland Co. SC Schools & Directories