Orangeburg County, South Carolina Facts
Orangeburg County was established on 1769 from 1769 Judicial District. The county was named in honor of King William V of Orange.
The Orangeburg County Seat is situated in Orangeburg plus the county government website is www.orangeburgcounty.org/
Areas adjacent to Orangeburg County are Calhoun County (north), Clarendon County (northeast), Dorchester County (southeast), Berkeley County (southeast), Bamberg County (south), Colleton County (south), Aiken County (west), Barnwell County (west), Lexington County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Orangeburg county include Bowman, Branchville, Brookdale, Cope, Cordova, Elloree, Eutawville, Holly Hill, Livingston, Neeses, North, Norway, Orangeburg, Rowesville, Santee, Springfield, Vance, Wilkinson Heights, Woodford.
Orangeburg County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Orangeburg Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Orangeburg Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orangeburg Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orangeburg Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Orangeburg County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Orangeburg County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Orangeburg Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 959, Orangeburg, SC 29116; Telephone: (803) 531-1002
- Orangeburg County Historical Society, Inc., Box 1881, Orangeburg, SC 29116-1881; Telephone: (803) 535-0022
- Orangeburgh German-Swiss Genealogical Society, PO BOX 974, Orangeburg SC 29116-0974
- Orangeburg County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Orangeburg County
- Orangeburg County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Orangeburg County
- USGenWeb Archives for Orangeburg County (usgwarchives.net)
Orangeburg County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Orangeburg County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Orangeburg County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Orangeburg county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Public records were removed to Columbia early in 1865; on 17 February 1865, they were burned there during Sherman's occupation. Deed books suffered heavy record loss. Records fragmented.
- Orangeburg County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 190 Gibson Street, Orangeburg, SC 29115
- Orangeburg County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Orangeburg County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: 803-533-6280
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1864
- Orangeburg County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: 803-533-6260
- Court Records: 1824
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Orangeburg County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Orangeburg County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: P. O. Box 126, Orangeburg, SC 29115
- Phone: (803) 642-7543
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Orangeburg County: Aiken County in 1871 and Calhoun County in 1908
Orangeburg County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Orangeburg County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Orangeburg County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Orangeburg Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Orangeburg Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Orangeburg Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Orangeburg Co. SC Census Records
Orangeburg Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Orangeburg Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Orangeburg Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orangeburg Co. SC General and History Websites
Orangeburg Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Orangeburg Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orangeburg Co. SC Military Records
Orangeburg Co. SC Schools & Directories