Marion County, South Carolina Facts
Marion County was established on 1785 from Georgetown District (originally called Liberty County, it renamed and became a separate district in 1800). The county was named in honor of Francis Marion, Revolutionary War general .
The Marion County Seat is situated in Marion plus the county government website is www.marionsc.org/
Areas adjacent to Marion County are Dillon County (north), Horry County (east), Georgetown County (south), Williamsburg County (southwest), Florence County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Marion county include Brittons Neck, Centenary, Gresham, Marion, Mullins, Nichols, Rains, Sellers, Temperance Hill.
Marion County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Marion Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Marion Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marion Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Marion County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Marion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marion County Archives and History Center, 101 North Main St., Marion, SC
- Marion County Historical Society, PO Box 7, Marion, SC 29571; phone: (843) 423-8299
- Marion County Museum, PO Box 220, Marion, SC 29571; phone: (843) 423-8299
- Pee Dee Chapter, SCGS, Inc., PO Box 1428, Marion, SC 29571-1428
- Marion County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marion County
- Marion County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marion County
- USGenWeb Archives for Marion County (usgwarchives.net)
Marion County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Marion County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Marion County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Marion county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Probate and Clerk of Court records prior to about 1906 are now located in the Marion County Archives and History Center, 101 North Main St., Marion, SC.
- Marion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Marion County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Address: 201 Court Street, Marion, South Carolina 29571
- Phone: 843-423-8244
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1790
- Marion County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 100 West Court Street, Marion, South Carolina 29571
- Phone: 843-423-8240
- Land Records: 1800
- Court Records: 1800
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Marion County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Marion County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 206 Airport Court, Suite B, Mullins, SC 29574
- Phone: (843) 423-8295
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Marion County: Florence County in 1888 and Dillon County in 1910
Marion County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Marion County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Marion County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Marion Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marion Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marion Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marion Co. SC Census Records
Marion Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Marion Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Marion Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marion Co. SC General and History Websites
Marion Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Marion Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marion Co. SC Military Records
Marion Co. SC Schools & Directories