Berkeley County, South Carolina Facts
Berkeley County was established on 1882 from Charleston County (was orginally created in 1682, and included St. John Berkeley Parish, St. James Goose Creek Parish, St. James Santee Parish, St. Stephen Parish, and St. Thomas Parish and St. Denis Parish.But in 1769 Berkeley County and the parishes became part of Charleston District). The county was named in honor of William Berkeley, colonial proprietary governor and landowner .
The Berkeley County Seat is situated in Moncks Corner plus the county government website is berkeleycountysc.gov
Areas adjacent to Berkeley County are Georgetown County (northeast), Williamsburg County (northeast), Charleston County (south), Dorchester County (west), Orangeburg County (northwest), Clarendon County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Berkeley county include Bonneau, Charleston, Cross, Goose Creek, Gumville, Hanahan, Huger, Jamestown, Ladson, Moncks Corner, North Charleston, Pinopolis, St. Stephen, Summerville, Pineville
Berkeley County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Berkeley Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Berkeley County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Berkeley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Berkeley County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Berkeley County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Berkeley County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Berkeley county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Berkeley County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1003 Hwy 52, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Berkeley County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: (843) 719-4084
- Land Records: 1883
- Berkeley County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (843) 719-4519
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1883
- Berkeley County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Address: 300-B California Avenue, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Phone: (843) 719-4400
- Court Records: 1881
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Berkeley County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Berkeley County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 109 West Main Street, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Phone: (843) 719-4600
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Berkeley County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Berkeley County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Berkeley County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Berkeley Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Berkeley Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Berkeley Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Berkeley Co. SC Census Records
Berkeley Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Berkeley Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Berkeley Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Berkeley Co. SC General and History Websites
Berkeley Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Berkeley Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Berkeley Co. SC Military Records
Berkeley Co. SC Schools & Directories