Barnwell County, South Carolina Facts
Barnwell County was established on 1785 from Orangeburg District (was originally called Winston County, renamed in 1798 to Barnwell). The county was named in honor of John Barnwell, South Carolina State Senator and prisoner of war during the American Revolution.
The Barnwell County Seat is situated in Barnwell plus the county government website is www.barnwellcounty.sc.gov/
Areas adjacent to Barnwell County are Aiken County (north), Bamberg County (east), Orangeburg County (east), Allendale County (southeast), Burke County, Georgia (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Barnwell county include Barnwell, Blackville, Elko, Hilda, Kline, Snelling, Williston
Barnwell County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Barnwell Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Barnwell Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barnwell Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barnwell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Barnwell County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Barnwell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Aiken-Barnwell Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 415, Aiken, SC 29802
- Barnwell County Museum and Historical Board, PO Box 422,
Barnwell, SC 29812
- Blackville Area Historical Society, P O Box 277, Blackville, SC 29817
- Barnwell County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Barnwell County
- Barnwell County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Barnwell County
- USGenWeb Archives for Barnwell County (usgwarchives.net)
Barnwell County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Barnwell County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Barnwell County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Barnwell County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Records of Winton County (1785—91) in Orangeburgh Circuit Court District are housed in Barnwell County.
- Barnwell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 141 Main Street, Barnwell, SC 29812
- Barnwell County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (803) 541-1032
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1800
- Barnwell County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: (803) 541 -1020
- Land Records: 1800
- Court Records: 1800
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Barnwell County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Barnwell County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 11015 Ellenton Street, Barnwell, SC 29812
- Phone: (803) 541-1061
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Barnwell County: Aiken County in 1871, Bamberg County in 1897 and Allendale County in 1919
Barnwell County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Barnwell County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Barnwell County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Barnwell Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Barnwell Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Barnwell Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Barnwell Co. SC Census Records
Barnwell Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Barnwell Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Barnwell Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Barnwell Co. SC General and History Websites
Barnwell Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Barnwell Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Barnwell Co. SC Military Records
Barnwell Co. SC Schools & Directories