Anderson County, South Carolina Facts
Anderson County was established on 1826 from Pendleton District (also called Washington District at one time). The county was named in honor of Robert Anderson, American Revolutionary War general and Southern surveyor .
The Anderson County Seat is situated in Anderson plus the county government website is www.andersoncountysc.org
Areas adjacent to Anderson County are Pickens County (north), Greenville County (northeast), Laurens County (east), Abbeville County (south), Elbert County, Georgia (southwest), Hart County, Georgia (west), Oconee County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Anderson county include Anderson, Belton, Clemson, Easley, Honea Path, Iva, Pelzer, Pendleton, Starr, West Pelzer, Williamston.
Anderson County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Anderson Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Anderson Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Anderson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Anderson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Anderson County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Anderson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Anderson County Chapter South Carolina Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 74, Anderson, SC 29622-0074
- Anderson County Historical Society, PO Drawer 785, Anderson, SC 29622; (864) 646-3782
- Anderson Heritage, Inc., PO Box 58, Anderson, SC 29622
- Old Pendleton District Chapter of S.C.G.S., 247 Cross Hill Road, Easley, SC 29640-8857
- Anderson County Museum, 202 East Greenville St., Anderson, SC 29621; Phone: 864-260-4737
- Piedmont Historical Society, PO Box 1842, Spartanburg, SC 29304; Ph:864-574-3056
- Pendleton Foundation For Black History And Culture , P.O. Box 806, Pendleton, SC 29670; 864 656-1587
- Boonesborough Historical Society, PO Box 575, Due West, SC 29639
- Williamston Area Historic Commission, PO Box 577, Williamston, SC 29697; Telephone: (864) 847-4850
- Anderson County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Anderson County
- Anderson County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Anderson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Anderson County (usgwarchives.net)
Anderson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Anderson County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Anderson County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Anderson County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Records of Pendleton County in Ninety-Six and Washington Districts and Pendleton District are housed in Anderson County.
- Anderson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 South Main Street, Anderson, SC 29624
- Anderson County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: (864) 260-4054
- Land Records: 1826
- Anderson County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (864) 260-4049
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1826
- Anderson County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: (864) 260-4053
- Court Records: 1826
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Anderson County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Anderson County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 220 McGee Road, Anderson, S.C. 29625
- Phone: 864-260-5541
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Anderson County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Anderson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Anderson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Anderson Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Anderson Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Anderson Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Anderson Co. SC Census Records
Anderson Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Anderson Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Anderson Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Anderson Co. SC General and History Websites
Anderson Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Anderson Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Anderson Co. SC Military Records
Anderson Co. SC Schools & Directories