Allendale County, South Carolina Facts
Allendale County was established on 1919 from Barnwell County and Hampton County. The county was named in honor of P.H. Allen, first postmaster of the new county.
The Allendale County Seat is situated in Allendale plus the county government website is www.allendalecounty.com/
Areas adjacent to Allendale County are Bamberg County (northeast), Colleton County (east), Hampton County (southeast), Screven County, GA (southwest), Burke County, GA (west), Barnwell County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Allendale county include Allendale, Fairfax, Sycamore, Ulmer.
Allendale County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1920, 1930, 1940. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Allendale County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Allendale County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Allendale County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Allendale County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Allendale County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Allendale county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. The original Courthouse was burned May, 1998. Reconstruction and renovations of the Courthouse began in August, 2002.
- Allendale County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 292 Barnwell Highway, Allendale, SC 29810
- Allendale County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (803) 584-3157
- Marriage Records: 1919
- Probate Records: 1919
- Allendale County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: (803) 584 -2737
- Court Records: 1919
- Land Records: 1919
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Allendale County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Allendale County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Allendale County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Allendale County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Allendale County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Allendale Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Allendale Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Allendale Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Allendale Co. SC Census Records
Allendale Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Allendale Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Allendale Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Allendale Co. SC General and History Websites
Allendale Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Allendale Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Allendale Co. SC Military Records
Allendale Co. SC Schools & Directories