Aiken County, South Carolina Facts
Aiken County was established on 1871 from Orangeburg County, Lexington County, Edgefield County, and Barnwell County. The county was named in honor of William Aiken, founder of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company.
The Aiken County Seat is situated in Aiken plus the county government website is www.aikencountysc.gov
Areas adjacent to Aiken County are Saluda County (north), Lexington County (northeast), Orangeburg County (east), Barnwell County (south), Burke County, GA (southwest), Edgefield County (west), Richmond County, GA (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Aiken county include Aiken, Bath, Beech Island, Belvedere, Burnettown, Clearwater, Gloverville, Graniteville, Jackson, Langley, Monetta, New Ellenton, North Augusta, Perry, Salley, Vaucluse, Wagener, Warrenville, Windsor
Aiken County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Aiken Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Aiken Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Aiken Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Aiken County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Aiken County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Aiken County Historical Commission, 433 Newberry Street, SW, Aiken, SC 29801; (803) 649-4658
- Aiken County Historical Society, PO Box 1775, Aiken, SC 29802; (803) 649-9653
- Aiken-Barnwell Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 415, Aiken, SC 29802
- Aiken County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Aiken County
- Aiken County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Aiken County
- USGenWeb Archives for Aiken County (usgwarchives.net)
Aiken County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Aiken County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Aiken County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Aiken county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Aiken County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 109 Park Avenue SE, Aiken, SC 29801
- Aiken County Registrar Mesne Conveyance records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 828 Richland Avenue West, Aiken, SC 29801
- Phone: 803-642-2072
- Land Records: 1872
- Aiken County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (803) 642-2000
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1872
- Aiken County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: (803) 642-1587
- Court Records: 1871
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Aiken County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Aiken County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 828 Richland Avenue, West, Aiken, SC 29801
- Phone: (803) 642-1687
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Aiken County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Aiken County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Aiken County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Aiken Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Aiken Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Aiken Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Aiken Co. SC Census Records
Aiken Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Aiken Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Aiken Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Aiken Co. SC General and History Websites
Aiken Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Aiken Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Aiken Co. SC Military Records
Aiken Co. SC Schools & Directories